
I recently attended a conference at which Margot Strom, the founder of Facing History and Ourselves, spoke about her life and the Facing History project. The project's guiding mission is to make palpable to students the fact that they can have an impact on their world, and that the study of history can both guide and inspire that engagement. I was very impressed, and was happy to see that Facing History and Ourselves is sponsoring a free online workshop for teachers inspired by some of the remarkable global reporting that NYT reporter Nicholas Kristof has done in recent years (and right up to the present moment, as he reports from the Middle East). Check it out...
Jeff - small world! I used to be very involved with the Memphis office of Facing History and Ourselves when I lived there. What an amazing organization. Awesome readings that really got my students thinking deeply and profoundly about Big Questions. Margot is terrific, as is her team. FHAO is the thing I missed most when I left Memphis because its methodology impacted my teaching and my students so profoundly.
ReplyDelete