(Hi, y'all - also see Jeff's email to prep for class)
General Housekeeping:
1. Look for an email from Jeff to know where to report on Friday. We're going to start by splitting the class in half. You'll discuss Gee/gaming with Jeff and make a podcast with me (read below for details so you can pick your software/Web tool in advance and remember to bring your headset if you don't have a built-in mic). We'll wrap up class by looking at how you can use Google Reader (http://reader.google.com ; log in with your existing Blogger/Google login) to have the edubloggers' content delivered to you. You can also have your Twitter stream delivered to Google Reader if you want (try Readtwit.com) and have changes to your class wiki sent there. It's a great way to passively monitor things without getting your email inbox deluged. Jeff will also introduce the Point/Counterpoint project and you'll vote on your preferred topic.
Housekeeping / Podcasting Prep
Please bring your laptop with built-in microphone (Google your brand and model, along with the word "specifications" if you aren't sure) or an external headset or mic with you to class. I notice that headsets/microphones are on sale at Target this week for as little as $8.
I love podcasting and was lucky to begin podcasting with students in the early days. And you're luckier, because the tools have gotten even easier. Like I said in my last post, we'll be focusing on audio-only podcasting. Here's a funny thing I've noticed: kids love videos, but audio podcasts make the students more focused on delivering the message, perhaps because the visual message is missing. I also like how podcasting facilitates creative pathways to learning: commercials, audio tours, radio plays, interviews, etc. I can't help it. I'm a big fan of podcasting. To whet your appetite and get your wheels turning about how you might use podcasting in your classroom,
Be sure to bring an external headset with microphone or a microphone on a stand to class. I notice that several models are on sale at Target this week.
You have three software/Web tool options. (My recommendation is at the bottom)
1. If you have a Mac, you can use GarageBand, which ships pre-installed on your machine.
Benefits: It's robust, it's visual, it's loved by many. Built-in audio loops to spice up your podcast so it sounds more professional.
Constraints: It's been about 5 years since I've used a Mac, so this is the option I can help you with the least. In addition, most high schools don't have Macs, so this is unlikely to be a software you can use this year in your placement. Also, if you use this option, you need storage space (like a wiki) to host your podcast online and to upload it manually.
GarageBand demo:
2. If you want to steer away from anything involving the words bandwidth or web, or if you want to take a free cross-platform (Mac or PC) downloadable software for a spin, come to class having already downloaded Audacity.
Benefits: Free download. Doesn't run on the Web. Used in many school districts because it's free. Mac or PC.
Constraints: Clunkier interface. If your district doesn't have it installed already, it could be a hassle to get it installed on machines in your building. You need storage space to host the podcast online and need to manually upload it to the Web. No built-in audio loops or sound effects -you go out and find/download them on your own, which takes students and/or you more time.
Follow the directions online and make sure you download both Audacity and the LAME converter. LAME is required to turn the Audacity files into .mp3 format, the ubiquitous audio format that you can post online.
Audacity Demo (I adjust track volume using the track slider instead of his Fade In technique, but it's a good tutorial otherwise):
3. If you want the best of GarageBand in a Web-based tool, go to Aviary.com before class and create an account for yourself so you can use their Myna audio edtior. (My recommendation.)
Benefits: Web-based. No software installation required. Free. Built-in audio loops/sounds. Easy-to-use visual interface. Hosts your podcasts for you -- lets you send friends a link to your podcast, post the link on your social network, or embed them in your wiki with just a few keystrokes. The beta Aviary in Education option (I have an account you can look at) lets your students create a podcast and "turn it in" to you in a single location, which makes grading easier and lets your students create podcasts that only their classmates can hear. Aviary also has extra tools -- like an image editor, screen capture software, and more -- making it a single login that gives you lots of options. (Can you tell this is the one I am leaning toward? It's the best of all worlds in my book.)
Constraints: Web-based tools can slow down at peak times of the day. It could be blocked by your district's filter (though you could easily make a case to get it unblocked).
Watch a Myna demo here:
If you don't know which one to pick, take Aviary's Myna for a spin because it does podcasts and much more!
Did I mention that I love podcasting? Hope you will, too!
Thanks, Kristin
Image source (Items before 1923 are in the public domain and OK to use without permission)

No comments:
Post a Comment